CHAPTER – I PRELIMINARY
THE GAZETTE OF INDIA EXTRAORDINARY [PART II-Sec.1]
- (l) This Act may be called the Haj Committee Act, 2002.
(2) It shall come into force on such date or dates as the Central Government may, by notification, appoint, and different dates may be appointed for different provisions of this Act and for different States.
- In this Act,unless the context otherwise requires:-
- bye-laws means the bye-laws made under section 45;
- Chief Executive Officer or the Executive Officer means the Chief Executive Officer of the Committee or the Executive Officer of the State Committee appointed under sub-section (l) of section 16 or sub-section (l) of section 29, as the case may be;
- Committee means the Haj Committee of India constituted under section 3;
- member means a member of the Haj Committee of India nominated under section 4 or of a State Haj Committee nominated under section 18, as the case may be, and includes the Chairperson and a Vice-Chairperson;
- notification means a notification published in the Gazette of India or the Official Gazette of a State, as the case may be;
- pilgrim means a Muslim proceeding to, or returning from , Haj;
- prescribed means prescribed by rules made under section 44 by the Central Government or, as the case may be, under section 47 by the State Government;
- State Committee means a State Haj Committee constituted under section 18 and includes Joint State Committee;
- State Government, in relation to a Union territory, means the Administrator of that Union territory appointed by the President under article 239 of the Constitution.